If you have tried to install the 64-bit version of SQL Server Management Studio on Vista 64-bit, then you have probably run into the following error:
Product: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express — The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 29506.
The problem is that User Access Controls (UAC) interferes with the installation process and causes it to fail. In order to get around the UAC issue, follow these few simple steps:
- Save the SQL Server Management Studio MSI file to, say, “C:\temp”
- Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories
- Right-click on “Command Prompt”, and click “Run as Administrator”
- Once you open the command prompt, browse to “C:\temp”
- Run the MSI file by typing in the name of the file and hitting Enter
The installation will run using the administrator privileges inherited by the command prompt.
You should now be free of any error code 29506. Good luck!